Ten Home Building industry stories we have read recently:
- New FHA multifamily mortgage insurance applications halted in Texas disaster areas (expect delays in processing applications across the country). NAHBNow.
- How local housing regulations smother the U.S. economy (and affordable housing). New York Times.
- Co-borrowing to afford a home is gaining popularity. Who’s doing it and why? MarketWatch.
- Hurricanes Irma, Harvey boost call for flood insurance (renewal of the program). Orlando Sentinel.
- 70 percent of Harvey residential flood damage not covered by insurance. National Mortgage News.
- A devastating hurricane season exposes America’s flood insurance problem (Senator Tim Scott is quoted). Time.
- Labor shortage could hamper Harvey reconstruction. Houston Chronicle.
- The last big piece of unfinished business from the Great Recession (Fannie and Freddie). The Washington Post.
- Top ten sources of softwood lumber imports (in short, Canada laps the field). Eye on Housing.
- Baby Boomers who refuse to sell are dominating the housing market (55 percent of owner-occupied housing is owned by people 55 years and older, the highest in history). Bloomberg.
Did you know? 25 percent of all flood insurance policies in the U.S. are written in the state of Florida.
September 14, 2017.