While the rain may have dampened summer’s sting and allowed for cooler weather, it was a great night for Chili and oysters at the annual Chili Cook-off event on September 24th. This year’s event was hosted and sponsored by Gateway Supply Co, with oysters provided by Clark’s Termite and Pest Control, and the nights beverages sponsored by Greer State Bank.
The HBA of Greenville would like to congratulate the Chili and Dessert Cook off winners.
- Best Dessert- Ferga-licious, Ferguson Enterprises.
- Best Overall- Mean Mama’s Chili, GBS Building Supply
- Hottest Chili- Fire in the Bowl, Gateway Supply Co
- Best Presentation- Flint Rubble Bubble, Ferguson Enterprises.
Thank you to everyone who brought a chili, dessert, or both. There was a great turn out with 9 chili entries and 5 dessert entries. We are looking forward to next year so get your aprons and recipes ready!
We would also like to thank those that donated school supplies to our School Supply Drive benefiting Greenville County Schools. Thank you!
|Craig Perfect, Allcon of Greenville|
Rosewood Communities broke ground this week on a new house that will benefit Homes For Hope, a charity that raises money for Hope International.
The home will be built at Waterstone Cottages on Blacks Drive and is the third home built by Rosewood Communities for Homes For Hope.
Rosewood Communities teams up with its suppliers and subcontractors to build the home. The partners in the home donate or deeply discount goods and services, maximizing the proceeds form the sale of the home. When the home is sold the profits are donated to Homes For Hope. Hope International uses the money to make micro loans to small businesses in third-world countries like Haiti. To date, Rosewood’s contributions to Homes for Hope have helped more than 9,000 people.
Member companies contributing to Rosewood’s Homes for Hope project include Allcon of Greenville, which with its suppliers donates the roof of the home, Carter Lumber, which donates the door and window packages, and Greer State Bank, which finances the project.
Homes for Hope, based in Frisco, Texas, also is an HBA member. To learn more about Homes for Hope, click here.
It’s “SAFE” to say that Friday, September 7th was a great day in which Stageberg Builders beat out the Greer State Bank Giants and the Vass Markets Bull Dogs in a 3 game tournament to take the HBA Championship. It was a great afternoon at Butler Springs Park and there were some great plays by several players including the HBA staffs own Michael Dey who hit a triple and was cheered on by his Vass Markets team garnering the white and red jersey. The event was sponsored by Progress Lighting and there was a BBQ dinner hosted by the HBA of Greenville afterward.
The team rosters were as follows.
Stageberg Builders: Joe Hoover, Silas Lewis, Rhett Hancock, Mark Pittman, Skylar Jackson, Greg Gambrell, Nick Campbell, Nick Klaus, and Dan Stageberg- team captain.
Vass Markets, Bull Dogs: Clay Guthrie, Todd Voyer, Keith Goodson, Brian De Young, Michael Dey, Thomas De Young, Will, Dawson, and Kathy Vass- team captain.
Greer State Bank, Giants: Michael Galloway, Mark Galloway, Alex Galloway, Jimmy Francis, Tim Kallainen, Justin Kalliainen, Joy Kamees, Mindi Calvery, Robin Williams, Dee Bowen, Blake Presley, and Scott Presley- team captain.
The winning team, Stageburg Builders! (above)
Until next year! Thank you to all the participants and to Progress Lighting for their sponsorship.
by Michael Dey, Executive Vice President
Home Builders Association of Greenville
Producing the Southern Home and Garden Show is a major operation. Our Home Show involves more than 300 exhibitors in a 120,000 square-foot exhibit hall. More than 1,500 personnel are on site during the show. And another 500 people are involved in setting up the show.
We close our office for two days and our entire staff works the Home Show. In addition, the Vass Markets team, which markets and manages the Home Show, also is on site for the entire time the show is being set up and open to the public. In addition, dozens of TD Convention Center staff take tickets, monitor parking areas, secure the facility, and make sure the trash cans are emptied, bathrooms are clean, and that all of the more than 10,000 visitors to the show are safe and sound.
Even with all of this support, your Home Builders Association of Greenville could not produce the Southern Home and Garden Show without the support of our volunteers. Our volunteers help us drive the parking lot shuttles, assist exhibitors and volunteers at the Exhibitor Registration and Will Call Desk, stock the Exhibitor Hospitality Lounge, and visit and thank all of our exhibitors.
I would like to thank all of the volunteers who helped make the 51st Annual Southern Home and Garden Show another great success:
- Robert Markel, CGR, Hadrian Construction Company
- Wayne Moore, Harold Moore Builder
- Richard Powers, Piedmont Natural Gas
- Mike Freeman, GMB, Freewood Contracting
- Scott Presley, Greer State Bank
- Lex Stapleton, Donald A. Gardner Architects
- Joe Hoover, Ryan Homes
- Sue Flaspoehler, K&S Stoneworks
- Russ Henson, GBS Building Supply
- Matt Vaughn, Homeowners Mortgage
- Reggie Alexander, Home Builders Institute
- John Wolfrom, Providence Realty & Marketing
- Toni Masters
We also had help from students at Clemson University as well as the C-Core mentoring program.
Volunteers make your Home Builders Association’s programs and services possible. Thank you each and every volunteer for making the Southern Home and Garden Show, and your association, a success.
Builder Brad Thompson, President of First Choice Custom Homes, and Scott Presley, Vice President of Greer State Bank, were honored by your Home Builders Association of Greenville as Builder of the Year, and Associate of the Year, respectively, for 2010.
Thompson and Presley were honored during the HBA of Greenville’s General Membership Meeting January 20, 2011, at the Carolina First Center. More than 100 HBA members and guests assembled to honor these and other award winners and to install the 2011 Board of Directors
Guest speaker for the evening was Steven Mungo (pictured with Thompson and Presley), President of the Mungo Company and Immediate Past President of the Home Builders Association of South Carolina. Mungo talked about the importance of adjusting one’s business model to the new economy in order to survive, and made reference to the book, “Who Moved My Cheese?”, and recommended it to members as a source of inspiration.
Also honored Thursday evening was The Honorable Bill Sandifer of the South Carolina House of Representives and Chairman of the House Labor, Commerce, and Industry Committee. Sandifer received the South Carolina Champion of Housing Award for his contributions to the Home Building industry and support of the association during its battle over Automatic Fire Sprinklers in 2010. In presenting the award, HBA Executive Vice President Michael Dey called Rep. Sandifer, “a true friend of Home Builders.”
Several HBA members also were honored during the evening:
2010 Commitee Chairmen:
- Barbara Ryan, Atherton Company, Sales and Marketing Committee
- Robert Markel, CGR, Hadrian Construction, Remodelers Committee
- Scott Presley, Greer State Bank, Bylaws Committee
- Coleman Shouse, Lazarus Shouse Communities, Legislative Committee
- Wayne Moore, Harold Moore Builder, Home Show Committee
- Brad Thompson, First Choice Custom Homes, and Angela Santerini, Allora, Membership Committee
2010 Committee Chairman of the Year:
Brad Thompson, First Choice Custom Homes, Membership Committee
2010 Membership Award:
Angela Santerini, Allora
2010 Rookie of the Year:
Deanna Long, Yoder’s Building Supply
Spirit of the HBA Award:
Elizabeth Stronkowsky, North Main Building and Design
President’s Citation Award:
Laura Majszak, Premier Garage
Scott Presley, Greer State Bank
Also Thursday evening, the 2001 Board of Directors was installed. The ceremony featured the installation of the 2011 President of the HBA of Greenville, Wayne Moore. The 2011 Board of Directors includes:
- Wayne Moore, Harold Moore Builder, President
- Hal Dillard, H. Dillard Company, President Elect
- Robert Markel, CGR, Hadrian Construction Company, Vice President
- Scott Presley, Greer State Bank, Associate Vice President
- Scott Lynch, Hollison Custom Homes, Secretary
- Chuck Childress, BB&T, Treasurer
- Tom Dillard, Dillard-Jones Builders, Immediate Past President
- Richard Powers, Piedmont Natural Gas, President’s Appointee
- Tom Ward, Home Team Pest Defense, Director
- Eric Hedrick, Cornerstone Contractors, Director
- Brad Thompson, First Choice Custom Homes, Director
- Dan Rawls, Director
- Michael Cox, Home Builders Insurance, Director
- Jim Blume, First Savers Bank, Director
- Alan Boone, Advanced Renovations, Director
- Mike Freeman, Freewood Builders, Director
- Larry Hazenfield, ProBuild, Director
- Lou Hutchings, GBS Lumber, Director
- Hardy Peters, Reedy Construction, Director
- Chris Bailey, Stoneledge Properties, Director
- Seabrook Marchant, The Marchant Company, Ex-Officio Director
Please take a moment to congratulate all who where honored this week.
The evening was sponsored by ten companies that offered a table-top display for the evening’s participants to visit:Steamatic
- James Hardie
- Homes and Land Magazine
- Great Outdoors
- Capital Bank
- Heirloom Stair & Iron
- Priority One Security
- Palmetto Exterminators
- Lowe’s of Greer
- Homeowners Mortgage
Please thank these companies for their support of your HBA of Greenville.