The Sales and Marketing Council of the Upstate is hosting a Panel Event for local builders, sales agents, and marketing professionals. Join us at Jeff Lynch Appliance and TV Center on October 13, from 8:30 – 10 a.m. Find out the secrets from industry leaders on how to build lasting relationships with builders, remodelers, and sales agents, and where to find inventory for your client. The discussion will be moderated by Tammie Smoot, MIRM, of Builders Digital Experience. Breakfast is included!
The expert panel includes:
- Brandon Eich, APB- Arthur Rutenberg Homes
- Scott Lynch, APB- Hollison Custom Homes
- Holly May- Realtor, Coldwell Banker Caine
- Haro Setian- The Haro Group, Keller Williams
- Matt Shouse, APB- LS Homes
- Donna Smith- Broker, Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
Join the Clemson Construction Science and Management program for their Symposium on October 18. It will take place at the Le Meridien Hotel in Charlotte, NC and feature keynote speakers and panel discussions. Continuing Education Credits are available. Please contact Roger Liska for more information or to register at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 21st Century Building Expo and Conference in Charlotte, NC will be September 13-15, 2016 at the Charlotte Convention Center. The floor will be filled with vendors showcasing the latest technologies and trends, as well as seminars where builders and remodelers can receive Continuing Education credits. Courses like Financial Management, Diversification, and Marketing and Sales for Building Professionals will be available to those who register. To see the full schedule of classes offered, visit the Expo’s website.
Floor passes are free if you register before September 1.
The Professional Women in Building Council hosted its first education event last Friday, July 22nd at Progress Lighting. Nationally renowned speaker Deb Sofield spoke to the group on improving speaking skills, personal presentation in a business setting, and moving forward in life with her “15 Rules for the Road.” The event was sponsored by Pestban and presented by Ryan Homes and DHI Mortgage.
|Attendees enjoy breakfast and networking before Deb’s presentation.|
|Title sponsor Brian Harrison of Pestban address the group with PWB Chairwoman Brittany Bailey of Ryan Homes.|
|PWB Board member Renata Caldwell of Progress Lighting with speaker Deb Sofield.|
|Deb giving her presentation.|
|Thank you, Deb!|
The S.C. General Assembly has signed off on a new Residential Building Code for South Carolina, the 2015 IRC. It takes effect on July 1, 2016!
Your HBA held a Building Codes Class on this new building code in February, so many of you are already prepared. For those of you who are not, below are opportunities we are developing in the next couple of months to get you ready:
- John McLeod, Chief Building Official for Greenville County, will host a workshop on the new codes on Tuesday, June 28, 9 a.m. until 11 a.m., in Conference Room D, Greenville County Square. He will review and highlight the important code changes and of course offer his enforcement interpretations.
- Your HBA is working with John and Buddy Skinner, Chief Building Official for the City of Greenville, on a second opportunity in early July.
- And your HBA will also have Andy Barber, HBA of South Carolina Building Codes Chairman, back in Greenville in early August for a repeat of the four-hour code training class he offered in February.
Note that the new building code is effective for permits issued on or after July 1. Houses already permitted or for which a permit was applied for on or before June 30 will still be subject to the 2012 IRC.
Note, however, that you may find that several of the statewide code amendments that were secured by your Home Builders Association make the new code an improvement in many respects. You can review the statewide amendments by clicking here.
Code Books Available Through Your HBA
Your HBA can help you receive the ICC member discount on code books, thanks to Buddy Skinner who has offered to place the order for us. If you would like to order your code book in this manner, please review the code book options at iccsafe.org and email your code book requests to email@example.com. Your order is due by June 28 at 5 p.m. Plan on a week for the code books to be delivered.