Now that you have visited the Southern Home & Garden Show and warm weather and longer days are approaching, this is an ideal time to take care of the wear and tear from winter and get ready to enjoy your home this spring.
The following list will help get you started.
- Walk the perimeter of your home and check the condition of window glazing, caulk, and paint. Replace or touch up where necessary.
- Inspect your deck. Replace popped nails and re-secure loose boards. Check for decay and replace rotted boards. Sweep, clean, and reseal the deck and railings.
- Clean your outdoor furniture and clean, repair or replace the cushions.
- Reinvigorate your yard. Seed and feed the lawn, plant annuals and cut back any perennials that need pre-growth pruning.
- Check your roof for signs of winter damage. Clean out your gutters. Take special care when using a ladder. Read and follow directions carefully. Check for overhead power lines and set up the ladder at a safe angle. Never stand on the top rungs.
- Hire a professional to clean and inspect your air conditioning system. Clean or replace the filter.
- Test your windows to ensure they operate properly and clean the window screens.
- Refresh carpets and rugs. A good cleaning will freshen the look of the whole house.
- Find signs of insects, like termites, early. Check for sagging floors and ceilings and note any dry, brown tunnels in the ground near your home’s foundation. Eliminating termites now can save you money in the future.
To find an Approved Professional Builder to help you with your home improvement needs, visit HBAofGreenville.com.