Serving on a local government board or commission is a great way to give back to your community, plug into what is happening, and maybe even benefit personally and professionally by building new relationships. It also doesn’t hurt that you will learn more about how government operates as well.
Both Greenville County and the City of Greenville have opened applications for several boards and commissions.
The Application period to serve on a board or commission at Greenville County closes July 31. To apply, click here to access the Boards and Commissions website and download the application.
- Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee: 5 vacancies
- Airport Commission (downtown airport): 1 vacancy
- Airport Environs Planning Commission: 2 vacancies
- Board of Tax Assessment Appeals: 9 vacancies
- Construction Board of Appeals: 1 vacancy
- Greater Greenville Sanitation District Commission: 1 vacancy
- Historic Preservation Commission: 5 vacancies
- Human Relations Commission: 4 vacancies
- Library Board of Trustees: 6 vacancies
- Metropolitan Sewer Subdistrict: 1 vacancy
- Museum Commission (Upcountry History Museum): 2 vacancies
- Redevelopment Authority (affordable housing): 4 vacancies
- Thrive Upstate (Disabilities and Special Needs): 2 vacancies
- Zoning Board of Appeals: 1 vacancy
- Ashwicke Special Tax District: 2 vacancies
- Canebrake Fire District Board: 2 vacancies
- Clear Spring Fire and Rescue District: 2 vacancies
- Devenger Pointe Special Tax District: 2 vacancies
- Donaldson Fire Service Area: 1 vacancy
- Lake Forest Special Tax District: 2 vacancies
- Old Mill Estates Tax District Commission: 2 vacancies
- Sterling Community Special Tax District: 2 vacancies
- Terra Pines Estates Special Tax District: 1 vacancy
City of Greenville
The application period to serve on a board or commission at the City of Greenville closes August 1. To apply, click here to access the city boards and commissions page and download the application.
- Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee: 2 vacancies
- Board of Zoning of Appeals: 2 vacancies
- Community Development Advisory Committee (affordable housing): 2 vacancies
- Firefighters’ Pension Fund Board of Trustees: 1 vacancy
- Green Ribbon Advisory Committee (sustainability): 3 vacancies
- Greenville Housing Authority: 3 vacancies
- Greenville Transit Authority (Greenlinks): 1 vacancy
- Municipal Election Commission: 1 vacancy
- Public Safety Citizen Review Board (police): 1 vacancy
- Richland Cemetery Advisory Committee: 4 vacancies
- SCTAC board: 1 vacancy
Did you know there are 23 boards whose members run for election. Turn out for most of them is very low. Are you interested in running for office, but not necessarily for a high-profile office? Check out the elected boards by clicking here.
If you decide to apply, or run, please let us know by emailing (mdey@HBAofGreenville.com) or calling (864-254-0133) Michael Dey.